Jon Geldart

Jon Geldart
Aim high!

Tuesday 3 February 2009

Plas Y Brenin training


I am currently finalising my kit in preparation for five days of training at the wonderful Plas Y Brenin outdoor centre in Snowdonia. I will be refreshing my skills around rope work as well as general mountain craft and some (hopefully) snow and ice work. The last two days will be spent on a Rescue and Emergency Care first aid course to keep me up to date on developments in outdoor and mountain rescue medical care.

It is essential to keep up your skills both as a leader outdoors and as a regular hill and mountain walker. With the snow as it has been and the recent spate of deaths and injury on the hills and mountains of the UK it is very important to refresh skills regularly. You may (hopefully) never need many of them but if you don't keep up the practice in the meantime you can guarantee that when you come to have to use them for real they can be worryingly rusty!

No comments: