Jon Geldart

Jon Geldart
Aim high!

Monday 27 April 2009

An 'epic' in Snowdonia



What a weekend! Wild camping up on the Molwyns on Friday night the wind was so strong that despite having the tend held down with rocks I had two guy ropes snap in the 60 mph winds which ravaged the area. See photo of the half flat tent! After only 3 hrs sleep fully dressed and packed ready to evacuate if necessary my weekend plans for two nights out had to be revised somewhat! I refused a bit of a breeze to spoil my time on the hills though and spent a very enjoyable day exploring some of the more remote and 'hidden' valleys to the NW of Blaenau Ffestiniog. Having scaled Moel Druman and then Allt Fawr I spent a few hours in the upper headwaters of the Afon LLedr which eventually runs into the Afon Llugwy at Betwys Y Coed. Ending the day by a fast decent of the path past Llyn Llagi to the road I had time to get into Betwys Y Coed for some spare tent pegs and guy ropes. Unfortunately under closer inspection the tent was more damaged than I thought so a B&B beckoned for the night! Sunday 08.30 and I was on Snowdon ready to have a go at the full Snowdon Horseshoe which I did in 5hrs 50mins. Crib Goch was its usual hairy self and even in a light breeze the central section was a nervous scramble. All in all I felt I had redeemed my lack of two nights out by a reasonable time round the Horseshoe and returned home pretty satisfied with a good weekend out!

No comments: