Jon Geldart

Jon Geldart
Aim high!

Saturday 20 November 2010

Speaking out on leadership and the outdoors in China

I am currently in Phoenix Arizona on the next leg of my round the world trip. I am here to speak with some of the leaders of the global organisation with whom I have my day job! However, I came here from speaking at an event in Beijing to which I was asked to contribute because of my outdoor leadership training experience. The Tienjian economic development Agency, along with the Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales (ICEAW) organisation in China ran a leadership seminar at which I was one of three speakers. Co presenters included Ling Lai, Vice President of BP in China and Graham Durgan, Chairman of global training company Emile Woolf International.

It was wonderful to hear Ling Lai talk about how BP in China is facing up to the challenges of the recent Gulf of Mexico disaster and how that has refocused the organisation on getting the basics right. Both he and Graham had fascinating stories to tell of how their personal experience of leadership is grounded in the same principles which I encounter and train in the outdoors... agility, taking responsibility for your actions and clear, effective communication. Indeed Graham Durgan and I share the same hero - Sir Ernest Shackleton!

This was my second invitation to speak in China and as I left there was enthusiasm for me to return.... the outdoors really does have something to bring to the field of leadership development.

No comments: