Jon Geldart

Jon Geldart
Aim high!

Monday 19 July 2010

Beijing and the Fragrant Hills




Whilst it has been some time since my last post I have not let the grass grow under my feet. I have been traveling around the world, both with my day job and Outperform, doing some interesting walks and exploration in places as varied as Puerto Rico where I was barefoot running on the beaches to climbing the Fragrant Hills outside Beijing.

The Fragrant Hills is a popular spot about 30 m outside Beijing with a 557m (1827ft) hill at its heart.

The park was first built in 1186 but underwent extensive planting in 1745. The Fragrant Hills derives its name from the masses of pine-cyprees, maple and trees as well as many perfumed bushes and flowers planted there. The climb is a steady and smooth one but at 30 C and 60% humidity it was a heck of an afternoon!

I was there to teach a local English/Chinese interpreter and guide how to guide less fit people up the hill. Techniques involved a focus on breathing, resting, hydration and managing groups efficiently. I was the only non Chinese on the hill and attracted a good deal of attention!

No comments: